125ml dry cider or apple juice
225g caster sugar
300g plain flour
1 ½ tsp cinnamon
Grated zest of 1 lemon
2 large cooking apples – peeled, cored and thinly sliced
Crème fraiche to serve
- Soak the sultanas in the cider or apple juice overnight.
- Preheat oven to 160°C (140°C fan assisted) or Gas 3 or 4.
- Line an 8 inch cake tin.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar together. Mix in the eggs one at a time, and then fold in the dry ingredients, lemon zest and sliced apples.
- Finally add the sultanas and all the juices.
- Bake for 1 to 2 hours. Test with a skewer – it should come out clean.
- Leave the cake to cool in the tin, and then transfer to a wire rack